Chapter 2 Al-Baqara 286 verses, Madina
1. Alif-Lam-Meem. (These letters are one of the miracles of the Quran and none but Allah (Alone)
knows their meanings).
2. This is the Book (the Quran), whereof there is no doubt, a guidance to those who are Al-Muttaqoon
(the pious and righteous persons who fear Allah much (abstain from all kinds of sins and evil deeds
which He has forbidden) and love Allah much (perform all kinds of good deeds which He has
3. Who believe in the Ghaib and perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), and spend out of what we have
provided for them (i.e. give Zakat , spend on themselves, their parents, their children, their wives, etc.,
and also give charity to the poor and also in Allahs Cause - Jihad, etc.).
4. And who believe in (the Quran and the Sunnah) which has been sent down (revealed) to you
(Muhammad Peace be upon him ) and in (the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel), etc.) which were
sent down before you and they believe with certainty in the Hereafter. (Resurrection, recompense of
their good and bad deeds, Paradise and Hell, etc.).
5. They are on (true) guidance from their Lord, and they are the successful.
6. Verily, those who disbelieve, it is the same to them whether you (O Muhammad Peace be upon him )
warn them or do not warn them, they will not believe.
7. Allah has set a seal on their hearts and on their hearings, (i.e. they are closed from accepting Allahs
Guidance), and on their eyes there is a covering. Theirs will be a great torment.
8. And of mankind, there are some (hypocrites) who say: "We believe in Allah and the Last Day" while
in fact they believe not.
9. They (think to) deceive Allah and those who believe, while they only deceive themselves, and
perceive (it) not!
10. In their hearts is a disease (of doubt and hypocrisy) and Allah has increased their disease. A painful
torment is theirs because they used to tell lies.
11. And when it is said to them: "Make not mischief on the earth," they say: "We are only
12. Verily! They are the ones who make mischief, but they perceive not.
13. And when it is said to them (hypocrites): "Believe as the people (followers of Muhammad Peace be
upon him , Al-Ansar and Al-Muhajiroon) have believed," they say: "Shall we believe as the fools have
believed?" Verily, they are the fools, but they know not.
14. And when they meet those who believe, they say: "We believe," but when they are alone with their
Shayatin (devils -polytheists, hypocrites, etc.), they say: "Truly, we are with you; verily, we were but
15. Allah mocks at them and gives them increase in their wrong-doings to wander blindly.
16. These are they who have purchased error for guidance, so their commerce was profitless. And they
were not guided.
17. Their likeness is as the likeness of one who kindled a fire; then, when it lighted all around him, Allah
took away their light and left them in darkness. (So) they could not see.
18. They are deaf, dumb, and blind, so they return not (to the Right Path).
19. Or like a rainstorm from the sky, wherein is darkness, thunder, and lightning. They thrust their
fingers in their ears to keep out the stunning thunderclap for fear of death. But Allah ever encompasses
the disbelievers (i.e. Allah will gather them all together).
20. The lightning almost snatches away their sight, whenever it flashes for them, they walk therein, and
when darkness covers them, they stand still. And if Allah willed, He could have taken away their
hearing and their sight. Certainly, Allah has power over all things.
21. O mankind! Worship your Lord (Allah), Who created you and those who were before you so that
you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious - see V.2:2).
22. Who has made the earth a resting place for you, and the sky as a canopy, and sent down water (rain)
from the sky and brought forth therewith fruits as a provision for you. Then do not set up rivals unto
Allah (in worship) while you know (that He Alone has the right to be worshipped).
23. And if you (Arab pagans, Jews, and Christians) are in doubt concerning that which We have sent
down (i.e. the Quran) to Our slave (Muhammad Peace be upon him ), then produce a Soorah (chapter) of
the like thereof and call your witnesses (supporters and helpers) besides Allah, if you are truthful.
24. But if you do it not, and you can never do it, then fear the Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones,
prepared for the disbelievers.
25. And give glad tidings to those who believe and do righteous good deeds, that for them will be
Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise). Every time they will be provided with a fruit therefrom,
they will say: "This is what we were provided with before," and they will be given things in resemblance
(i.e. in the same form but different in taste) and they shall have therein Azwajun Mutahharatun (purified
mates or wives), (having no menses, stools, urine, etc.) and they will abide therein forever.
26. Verily, Allah is not ashamed to set forth a parable even of a mosquito or so much more when it is
bigger (or less when it is smaller) than it. And as for those who believe, they know that it is the Truth
from their Lord, but as for those who disbelieve, they say: "What did Allah intend by this parable?" By
it He misleads many, and many He guides thereby. And He misleads thereby only those who are Al-
Fasiqoon (the rebellious, disobedient to Allah).
27. Those who break Allahs Covenant after ratifying it, and sever what Allah has ordered to be joined
(as regards Allahs Religion of Islamic Monotheism, and to practise its legal laws on the earth and also as
regards keeping good relations with kith and kin ), and do mischief on earth, it is they who are the
28. How can you disbelieve in Allah? Seeing that you were dead and He gave you life. Then He will
give you death, then again will bring you to life (on the Day of Resurrection) and then unto Him you
29. He it is Who created for you all that is on earth. Then He Istawa (rose over) towards the heaven and
made them seven heavens and He is the All-Knower of everything.
30. And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: "Verily, I am going to place (mankind)
generations after generations on earth." They said: "Will You place therein those who will make
mischief therein and shed blood, -while we glorify You with praises and thanks (Exalted be You above
all that they associate with You as partners) and sanctify You." He (Allah) said: "I know that which you
do not know."
31. And He taught Adam all the names (of everything) , then He showed them to the angels and said,
"Tell Me the names of these if you are truthful."
32. They (angels) said: "Glory be to You, we have no knowledge except what you have taught us.
Verily, it is You, the All-Knower, the All-Wise."
33. He said: "O Adam! Inform them of their names," and when he had informed them of their names, He
said: "Did I not tell you that I know the Ghaib (unseen) in the heavens and the earth, and I know what
you reveal and what you have been concealing?"
34. And (remember) when We said to the angels: "Prostrate yourselves before Adam.". And they
prostrated except Iblees (Satan), he refused and was proud and was one of the disbelievers (disobedient
35. And We said: "O Adam! Dwell you and your wife in the Paradise and eat both of you freely with
pleasure and delight of things therein as wherever you will, but come not near this tree or you both will
be of the Zalimoon (wrong-doers)."
36. Then the Shaitan (Satan) made them slip therefrom (the Paradise), and got them out from that in
which they were. We said: "Get you down, all, with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be a
dwelling place for you and an enjoyment for a time."
37. Then Adam received from his Lord Words . And his Lord pardoned him (accepted his repentance).
Verily, He is the One Who forgives (accepts repentance), the Most Merciful.
38. We said: "Get down all of you from this place (the Paradise), then whenever there comes to you
Guidance from Me, and whoever follows My Guidance, there shall be no fear on them, nor shall they
39. But those who disbelieve and belie Our Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations,
etc.) such are the dwellers of the Fire, they shall abide therein forever.
40. O Children of Israel! Remember My Favour which I bestowed upon you, and fulfill (your
obligations to) My Covenant (with you) so that I fulfill (My Obligations to) your covenant (with Me),
and fear none but Me.
41. And believe in what I have sent down (this Quran), confirming that which is with you, (the Taurat
(Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)), and be not the first to disbelieve therein, and buy (get (??ee? ????)) not
with My Verses (the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)) a small price (i.e. getting a small gain by
selling My Verses), and fear Me and Me Alone. (Tafsir At-Tabaree, Vol. I, Page 253).
42. And mix not truth with falsehood, nor conceal the truth (i.e. Muhammad Peace be upon him is
Allahs Messenger and his qualities are written in your Scriptures, the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel
(Gospel)) while you know (the truth) .
43. And perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), and give Zakat, and Irka (i.e. bow down or submit
yourselves with obedience to Allah) along with ArRakioon.
44. Enjoin you Al-Birr (piety and righteousness and each and every act of obedience to Allah) on the
people and you forget (to practise it) yourselves, while you recite the Scripture (the Taurat (Torah))!
Have you then no sense?
45. And seek help in patience and As-Salat (the prayer) and truly it is extremely heavy and hard except
for Al-Khashioon (i.e. the true believers in Allah - those who obey Allah with full submission, fear
much from His Punishment, and believe in His Promise (Paradise, etc.) and in His Warnings (Hell,
46. (They are those) who are certain that they are going to meet their Lord, and that unto Him they are
going to return.
47. O Children of Israel! Remember My Favour which I bestowed upon you and that I preferred you to
the Alameen (mankind and jinns) (of your time period, in the past).
48. And fear a Day (of Judgement) when a person shall not avail another, nor will intercession be
accepted from him nor will compensation be taken from him nor will they be helped.
49. And (remember) when We delivered you from Firauns (Pharaoh) people, who were afflicting you
with a horrible torment, killing your sons and sparing your women, and therein was a mighty trial from
50. And (remember) when We separated the sea for you and saved you and drowned Firauns (Pharaoh)
people while you were looking (at them, when the sea-water covered them).
51. And (remember) when We appointed for Moosa (Moses) forty nights, and (in his absence) you took
the calf (for worship), and you were Zalimoon (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.).
52. Then after that We forgave you so that you might be grateful.
53. And (remember) when We gave Moosa (Moses) the Scripture (the Taurat (Torah)) and the criterion
(of right and wrong) so that you may be guided aright.
54. And (remember) when Moosa (Moses) said to his people: "O my people! Verily, you have wronged
yourselves by worshipping the calf. So turn in repentance to your Creator and kill yourselves (the
innocent kill the wrongdoers among you), that will be better for you with your Lord." Then He accepted
your repentance. Truly, He is the One Who accepts repentance, the Most Merciful.
55. And (remember) when you said: "O Moosa (Moses)! We shall never believe in you till we see Allah
plainly." But you were seized with a thunderbolt (lightning) while you were looking.
56. Then We raised you up after your death, so that you might be grateful.
57. And We shaded you with clouds and sent down on you Al-Manna and the quails, (saying): "Eat of
the good lawful things We have provided for you," (but they rebelled). And they did not wrong Us but
they wronged themselves.
58. And (remember) when We said: "Enter this town (Jerusalem) and eat bountifully therein with
pleasure and delight wherever you wish, and enter the gate in prostration (or bowing with humility) and
say: Forgive us, and We shall forgive you your sins and shall increase (reward) for the good-doers."
59. But those who did wrong changed the word from that which had been told to them for another, so
We sent upon the wrong-doers Rijzan (a punishment) from the heaven because of their rebelling against
Allahs Obedience. (Tafsir At-Tabaree, Vol. I, Page 305).
60. And (remember) when Moosa (Moses) asked for water for his people, We said: "Strike the stone
with your stick." Then gushed forth therefrom twelve springs. Each (group of) people knew its own
place for water. "Eat and drink of that which Allah has provided and do not act corruptly, making
mischief on the earth."
61. And (remember) when you said, "O Moosa (Moses)! We cannot endure one kind of food. So invoke
your Lord for us to bring forth for us of what the earth grows, its herbs, its cucumbers, its Foom (wheat
or garlic), its lentils and its onions." He said, "Would you exchange that which is better for that which is
lower? Go you down to any town and you shall find what you want!" And they were covered with
humiliation and misery, and they drew on themselves the Wrath of Allah. That was because they used to
disbelieve the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allah and killed the
Prophets wrongfully. That was because they disobeyed and used to transgress the bounds (in their
disobedience to Allah, i.e. commit crimes and sins).
62. Verily! Those who believe and those who are Jews and Christians, and Sabians, whoever believes in
Allah and the Last Day and do righteous good deeds shall have their reward with their Lord, on them
shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve .
63. And (O Children of Israel, remember) when We took your covenant and We raised above you the
Mount (saying): "Hold fast to that which We have given you, and remember that which is therein so that
you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious - see V.2:2).
64. Then after that you turned away. Had it not been for the Grace and Mercy of Allah upon you, indeed
you would have been among the losers.
65. And indeed you knew those amongst you who transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath (i.e.
Saturday). We said to them: "Be you monkeys, despised and rejected."
66. So We made this punishment an example to their own and to succeeding generations and a lesson to
those who are Al-Muttaqoon (the pious - see V.2:2).
67. And (remember) when Moosa (Moses) said to his people: "Verily, Allah commands you that you
slaughter a cow." They said, "Do you make fun of us?" He said, "I take Allahs Refuge from being
among Al-Jahiloon (the ignorants or the foolish)."
68. They said, "Call upon your Lord for us that He may make plain to us what it is!" He said, "He says,
Verily, it is a cow neither too old nor too young, but (it is) between the two conditions, so do what you
69. They said, "Call upon your Lord for us to make plain to us its colour." He said, "He says, It is a
yellow cow, bright in its colour, pleasing to the beholders. "
70. They said, "Call upon your Lord for us to make plain to us what it is. Verily to us all cows are alike,
And surely, if Allah wills, we will be guided."
71. He (Moosa (Moses)) said, "He says, It is a cow neither trained to till the soil nor water the fields,
sound, having no other colour except bright yellow. " They said, "Now you have brought the truth." So
they slaughtered it though they were near to not doing it.
72. And (remember) when you killed a man and fell into dispute among yourselves as to the crime. But
Allah brought forth that which you were hiding.
73. So We said: "Strike him (the dead man) with a piece of it (the cow)." Thus Allah brings the dead to
life and shows you His Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) so that you may
74. Then, after that, your hearts were hardened and became as stones or even worse in hardness. And
indeed, there are stones out of which rivers gush forth, and indeed, there are of them (stones) which split
asunder so that water flows from them, and indeed, there are of them (stones) which fall down for fear
of Allah. And Allah is not unaware of what you do.
75. Do you (faithful believers) covet that they will believe in your religion inspite of the fact that a party
of them (Jewish rabbis) used to hear the Word of Allah (the Taurat (Torah)), then they used to change it
knowingly after they understood it?
76. And when they (Jews) meet those who believe (Muslims), they say, "We believe", but when they
meet one another in private, they say, "Shall you (Jews) tell them (Muslims) what Allah has revealed to
you (Jews, about the description and the qualities of Prophet Muhammad Peace be upon him , that
which are written in the Taurat (Torah)) , that they (Muslims) may argue with you (Jews) about it before
your Lord?" Have you (Jews) then no understanding?
77. Know they (Jews) not that Allah knows what they conceal and what they reveal?
78. And there are among them (Jews) unlettered people, who know not the Book, but they trust upon
false desires and they but guess.
79. Then woe to those who write the Book with their own hands and then say, "This is from Allah," to
purchase with it a little price! Woe to them for what their hands have written and woe to them for that
they earn thereby.
80. And they (Jews) say, "The Fire (i.e. Hell-fire on the Day of Resurrection) shall not touch us but for a
few numbered days." Say (O Muhammad Peace be upon him to them): "Have you taken a covenant
from Allah, so that Allah will not break His Covenant? Or is it that you say of Allah what you know
81. Yes! Whosoever earns evil and his sin has surrounded him, they are dwellers of the Fire (i.e. Hell);
they will dwell therein forever.
82. And those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism) and do righteous good
deeds, they are dwellers of Paradise, they will dwell therein forever.
83. And (remember) when We took a covenant from the Children of Israel, (saying): Worship none but
Allah (Alone) and be dutiful and good to parents, and to kindred, and to orphans and Al-Masakeen (the
poor), (Tafsir At-Tabaree, Vol. 10, Page 158 (Verse 9:60)) and speak good to people (i.e. enjoin
righteousness and forbid evil, and say the truth about Muhammad Peace be upon him ), and perform As-
Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), and give Zakat. Then you slid back, except a few of you, while you are
backsliders. (Tafsir Al-Qurtubee, Vol. 2, Page 392).
84. And (remember) when We took your covenant (saying): Shed not the blood of your people, nor turn
out your own people from their dwellings. Then, (this) you ratified and (to this) you bear witness.
85. After this, it is you who kill one another and drive out a party of you from their homes, assist (their
enemies) against them, in sin and transgression. And if they come to you as captives, you ransom them,
although their expulsion was forbidden to you. Then do you believe in a part of the Scripture and reject
the rest? Then what is the recompense of those who do so among you, except disgrace in the life of this
world, and on the Day of Resurrection they shall be consigned to the most grievous torment. And Allah
is not unaware of what you do.
86. Those are they who have bought the life of this world at the price of the Hereafter. Their torment
shall not be lightened nor shall they be helped.
87. And indeed, We gave Moosa (Moses) the Book and followed him up with a succession of
Messengers. And We gave Iesa (Jesus), the son of Maryam (Mary), clear signs and supported him with
Rooh-ul-Qudus (Jibrael (Gabriel) ). Is it that whenever there came to you a Messenger with what you
yourselves desired not, you grew arrogant? Some, you disbelieved and some, you killed.
88. And they say, "Our hearts are wrapped (i.e. do not hear or understand Allahs Word)." Nay, Allah has
cursed them for their disbelief, so little is that which they believe.
89. And when there came to them (the Jews), a Book (this Quran) from Allah confirming what is with
them (the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)), although aforetime they had invoked Allah (for
coming of Muhammad Peace be upon him ) in order to gain victory over those who disbelieved, then
when there came to them that which they had recognised, they disbelieved in it. So let the Curse of
Allah be on the disbelievers.
90. How bad is that for which they have sold their ownselves, that they should disbelieve in that which
Allah has revealed (the Quran), grudging that Allah should reveal of His Grace unto whom He will of
His slaves. So they have drawn on themselves wrath upon wrath. And for the disbelievers, there is
91. And when it is said to them (the Jews), "Believe in what Allah has sent down," they say, "We
believe in what was sent down to us." And they disbelieve in that which came after it, while it is the
truth confirming what is with them. Say (O Muhammad Peace be upon him to them): "Why then have
you killed the Prophets of Allah aforetime, if you indeed have been believers?"
92. And indeed Moosa (Moses) came to you with clear proofs, yet you worshipped the calf after he left,
and you were Zalimoon (polytheists and wrong-doers).
93. And (remember) when We took your covenant and We raised above you the Mount (saying), "Hold
firmly to what We have given you and hear (Our Word). They said, "We have heard and disobeyed."
And their hearts absorbed (the worship of) the calf because of their disbelief. Say: "Worst indeed is that
which your faith enjoins on you if you are believers."
94. Say to (them): "If the home of the Hereafter with Allah is indeed for you specially and not for others,
of mankind, then long for death if you are truthful."
95. But they will never long for it because of what their hands have sent before them (i.e. what they have
done). And Allah is All-Aware of the Zalimoon (polytheists and wrong-doers).
96. And verily, you will find them (the Jews) the greediest of mankind for life and (even greedier) than
those who - ascribe partners to Allah (and do not believe in Resurrection - Magians, pagans, and
idolaters, etc.). Everyone of them wishes that he could be given a life of a thousand years. But the grant
of such life will not save him even a little from (due) punishment. And Allah is All-Seer of what they
97. Say (O Muhammad Peace be upon him ): "Whoever is an enemy to Jibrael (Gabriel) (let him die in
his fury), for indeed he has brought it (this Quran) down to your heart by Allahs Permission, confirming
what came before it (i.e. the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)) and guidance and glad tidings for
98. "Whoever is an enemy to Allah, His Angels, His Messengers, Jibrael (Gabriel) and Mikael
(Michael), then verily, Allah is an enemy to the disbelievers."
99. And indeed We have sent down to you manifest Ayat (these Verses of the Quran which inform in
detail about the news of the Jews and their secret intentions, etc.), and none disbelieve in them but
Fasiqoon (those who rebel against Allahs Command).
100. Is it not (the case) that every time they make a covenant, some party among them throw it aside?
Nay! the truth is most of them believe not.
101. And when there came to them a Messenger from Allah (i.e. Muhammad Peace be upon him )
confirming what was with them, a party of those who were given the Scripture threw away the Book of
Allah behind their backs as if they did not know!
102. They followed what the Shayatin (devils) gave out (falsely of the magic) in the lifetime of
Sulaiman (Solomon). Sulaiman did not disbelieve, but the Shayatin (devils) disbelieved, teaching men
magic and such things that came down at Babylon to the two angels, Haroot and Maroot, but neither of
these two (angels) taught anyone (such things) till they had said, "We are only for trial, so disbelieve not
(by learning this magic from us)." And from these (angels) people learn that by which they cause
separation between man and his wife, but they could not thus harm anyone except by Allahs Leave. And
they learn that which harms them and profits them not. And indeed they knew that the buyers of it
(magic) would have no share in the Hereafter. And how bad indeed was that for which they sold their
ownselves, if they but knew.
103. And if they had believed, and guarded themselves from evil and kept their duty to Allah, far better
would have been the reward from their Lord, if they but knew!
104. O you who believe! Say not (to the Messenger Peace be upon him ) Raina but say Unzurna (Do
make us understand) and hear. And for the disbelievers there is a painful torment. (See Verse 4:46)
105. Neither those who disbelieve among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) nor Al-
Mushrikoon (the disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah, idolaters, polytheists, pagans, etc.) like that there
should be sent down unto you any good from your Lord. But Allah chooses for His Mercy whom He
wills. And Allah is the Owner of Great Bounty.
106. Whatever a Verse (revelation) do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, We bring a better one or
similar to it. Know you not that Allah is able to do all things?
107. Know you not that it is Allah to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth? And
besides Allah you have neither any Walee (protector or guardian) nor any helper.
108. Or do you want to ask your Messenger (Muhammad Peace be upon him ) as Moosa (Moses) was
asked before (i.e. show us openly our Lord?) And he who changes Faith for disbelief, verily, he has gone
astray from the right way.
109. Many of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) wish that if they could turn you away as
disbelievers after you have believed, out of envy from their ownselves, even, after the truth (that
Muhammad Peace be upon him is Allahs Messenger) has become manifest unto them. But forgive and
overlook, till Allah brings His Command. Verily, Allah is Able to do all things.
110. And perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), and give Zakat, and whatever of good (deeds that Allah
loves) you send forth for yourselves before you, you shall find it with Allah. Certainly, Allah is All-Seer
of what you do.
111. And they say, "None shall enter Paradise unless he be a Jew or a Christian." These are their own
desires. Say (O Muhammad Peace be upon him ), "Produce your proof if you are truthful."
112. Yes, but whoever submits his face (himself) to Allah (i.e. follows Allahs Religion of Islamic
Monotheism) and he is a Muhsin (good-doer i.e. performs good deeds totally for Allahs sake only
without any show off or to gain praise or fame, etc., and in accordance with the Sunnah of Allahs
Messenger Muhammad Peace be upon him ) then his reward is with his Lord (Allah), on such shall be
no fear, nor shall they grieve. (See Tafsir Ibn Katheer, Vol.1, Page 154).
113. The Jews said that the Christians follow nothing (i.e. are not on the right religion); and the
Christians said that the Jews follow nothing (i.e. are not on the right religion); though they both recite
the Scripture. Like unto their word, said (the pagans) who know not. Allah will judge between them on
the Day of Resurrection about that wherein they have been differing.
114. And who is more unjust than those who forbid that Allahs Name be glorified and mentioned much
(i.e. prayers and invocations, etc.) in Allahs Mosques and strive for their ruin? It was not fitting that
such should themselves enter them (Allahs Mosques) except in fear. For them there is disgrace in this
world, and they will have a great torment in the Hereafter.
115. And to Allah belong the east and the west, so wherever you turn yourselves or your faces there is
the Face of Allah (and He is High above, over His Throne). Surely! Allah is All-Sufficient for His
creatures needs, All-Knowing.
116. And they (Jews, Christians and pagans) say: Allah has begotten a son (children or offspring). Glory
be to Him (Exalted be He above all that they associate with Him). Nay, to Him belongs all that is in the
heavens and on earth, and all surrender with obedience (in worship) to Him.
117. The Originator of the heavens and the earth. When He decrees a matter, He only says to it : "Be!" -
and it is.
118. And those who have no knowledge say: "Why does not Allah speak to us (face to face) or why does
not a sign come to us?" So said the people before them words of similar import. Their hearts are alike,
We have indeed made plain the signs for people who believe with certainty.
119. Verily, We have sent you (O Muhammad Peace be upon him ) with the truth (Islam), a bringer of
glad tidings (for those who believe in what you brought, that they will enter Paradise) and a warner (for
those who disbelieve in what you brought, they will enter the Hell-fire). And you will not be asked
about the dwellers of the blazing Fire.
120. Never will the Jews nor the Christians be pleased with you (O Muhammad Peace be upon him ) till
you follow their religion. Say: "Verily, the Guidance of Allah (i.e. Islamic Monotheism) that is the
(only) Guidance. And if you (O Muhammad Peace be upon him ) were to follow their (Jews and
Christians) desires after what you have received of Knowledge (i.e. the Quran), then you would have
against Allah neither any Walee (protector or guardian) nor any helper.
121. Those (who embraced Islam from Banee Israel) to whom We gave the Book (the Taurat (Torah))
(or those (Muhammads Peace be upon him companions) to whom We have given the Book (the Quran))
recite it (i.e. obey its orders and follow its teachings) as it should be recited (i.e. followed), they are the
ones that believe therein. And whoso disbelieves in it (the Quran), those are they who are the losers.
(Tafsir Al-Qurtubee. Vol. 2, Page 95).
122. O Children of Israel! Remember My Favour which I bestowed upon you and that I preferred you to
the Alameen (mankind and jinns) (of your time-period, in the past).
123. And fear the Day (of Judgement) when no person shall avail another, nor shall compensation be
accepted from him, nor shall intercession be of use to him, nor shall they be helped.
124. And (remember) when the Lord of Ibrahim (Abraham) (i.e., Allah) tried him with (certain)
Commands, which he fulfilled. He (Allah) said (to him), "Verily, I am going to make you a leader
(Prophet) of mankind." (Ibrahim (Abraham)) said, "And of my offspring (to make leaders)." (Allah)
said, "My Covenant (Prophethood, etc.) includes not Zalimoon (polytheists and wrong-doers)."
125. And (remember) when We made the House (the Kabah at Makkah) a place of resort for mankind
and a place of safety. And take you (people) the Maqam (place) of Ibrahim (Abraham) (or the stone on
which Ibrahim (Abraham) stood while he was building the Kabah) as a place of prayer (for some of your
prayers, e.g. two Rakat after the Tawaf of the Kabah at Makkah), and We commanded Ibrahim
(Abraham) and Ismail (Ishmael) that they should purify My House (the Kabah at Makkah) for those who
are circumambulating it, or staying (Itikaf), or bowing or prostrating themselves (there, in prayer).
126. And (remember) when Ibrahim (Abraham) said, "My Lord, make this city (Makkah) a place of
security and provide its people with fruits, such of them as believe in Allah and the Last Day." He
(Allah) answered: "As for him who disbelieves, I shall leave him in contentment for a while, then I shall
compel him to the torment of the Fire, and worst indeed is that destination!"
127. And (remember) when Ibrahim (Abraham) and (his son) Ismail (Ishmael) were raising the
foundations of the House (the Kabah at Makkah), (saying), "Our Lord! Accept (this service) from us.
Verily! You are the All-Hearer, the All-Knower."
128. "Our Lord! And make us submissive unto You and of our offspring a nation submissive unto You,
and show us our Manasik (all the ceremonies of pilgrimage -Hajj and Umrah, etc.), and accept our
repentance. Truly, You are the One Who accepts repentance, the Most Merciful.
129. "Our Lord! Send amongst them a Messenger of their own (and indeed Allah answered their
invocation by sending Muhammad Peace be upon him ), who shall recite unto them Your Verses and
instruct them in the Book (this Quran) and Al-Hikmah (full knowledge of the Islamic laws and
jurisprudence or wisdom or Prophethood, etc.), and sanctify them. Verily! You are the All-Mighty, the
130. And who turns away from the religion of Ibrahim (Abraham) (i.e. Islamic Monotheism) except him
who befools himself? Truly, We chose him in this world and verily, in the Hereafter he will be among
131. When his Lord said to him, "Submit (i.e. be a Muslim)!" He said, "I have submitted myself (as a
Muslim) to the Lord of the Alameen (mankind, jinns and all that exists)."
132. And this (submission to Allah, Islam) was enjoined by Ibrahim (Abraham) upon his sons and by
Yaqoob (Jacob), (saying), "O my sons! Allah has chosen for you the (true) religion, then die not except
in the Faith of Islam (as Muslims - Islamic Monotheism)."
133. Or were you witnesses when death approached Yaqoob (Jacob)? When he said unto his sons,
"What will you worship after me?" They said, "We shall worship your Ilah (God -Allah), the Ilah (God)
of your fathers, Ibrahim (Abraham), Ismail (Ishmael), Ishaque (Isaac), One Ilah (God), and to Him we
submit (in Islam)."
134. That was a nation who has passed away. They shall receive the reward of what they earned and you
of what you earn. And you will not be asked of what they used to do.
135. And they say, "Be Jews or Christians, then you will be guided." Say (to them, O Muhammad Peace
be upon him ), "Nay, (We follow) only the religion of Ibrahim (Abraham), Hanifa (Islamic Monotheism,
i.e. to worship none but Allah (Alone)), and he was not of Al-Mushrikoon (those who worshipped others
along with Allah - see V.2:105)."
136. Say (O Muslims), "We believe in Allah and that which has been sent down to us and that which has
been sent down to Ibrahim (Abraham), Ismail (Ishmael), Ishaque (Isaac), Yaqoob (Jacob), and to Al-
Asbat (the twelve sons of Yaqoob (Jacob)), and that which has been given to Moosa (Moses) and Iesa
(Jesus), and that which has been given to the Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between
any of them, and to Him we have submitted (in Islam)."
137. So if they believe in the like of that which you believe, then they are rightly guided, but if they turn
away, then they are only in opposition. So Allah will suffice you against them. And He is the All
Hearer, the All-Knower.
138. (Our Sibghah (religion) is) the Sibghah (Religion) of Allah (Islam) and which Sibghah (religion)
can be better than Allahs? And we are His worshippers. (Tafsir Ibn Katheer.)
139. Say (O Muhammad Peace be upon him to the Jews and Christians), "Dispute you with us about
Allah while He is our Lord and your Lord? And we are to be rewarded for our deeds and you for your
deeds. And we are sincere to Him in worship and obedience (i.e. we worship Him Alone and none else,
and we obey His Orders)."
140. Or say you that Ibrahim (Abraham), Ismail (Ishmael), Ishaque (Isaac), Yaqoob (Jacob) and Al-
Asbat (the twelve sons of Yaqoob (Jacob)) were Jews or Christians? Say, "Do you know better or does
Allah (knows better… that they all were Muslims)? And who is more unjust than he who conceals the
testimony (i.e. to believe in Prophet Muhammad Peace be upon him when he comes, written in their
Books. (See Verse 7:157)) he has from Allah? And Allah is not unaware of what you do."
141. That was a nation who has passed away. They shall receive the reward of what they earned, and
you of what you earn. And you will not be asked of what they used to do.
142. The fools (pagans, hypocrites, and Jews) among the people will say, "What has turned them
(Muslims) from their Qiblah (prayer direction (towards Jerusalem)) to which they were used to face in
prayer." Say, (O Muhammad SAW) "To Allah belong both, east and the west. He guides whom He wills
to a Straight Way."
143. Thus We have made you (true Muslims - real believers of Islamic Monotheism, true followers of
Prophet Muhammad SAW and his Sunnah (legal ways)), a Wasat (just) (and the best) nation, that you be
witnesses over mankind and the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) be a witness over you. And We made
the Qiblah (prayer direction towards Jerusalem) which you used to face, only to test those who followed
the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) from those who would turn on their heels (i.e. disobey the
Messenger). Indeed it was great (heavy) except for those whom Allah guided. And Allah would never
make your faith (prayers) to be lost (i.e. your prayers offered towards Jerusalem). Truly, Allah is full of
kindness, the Most Merciful towards mankind.
144. Verily! We have seen the turning of your (Muhammads SAW) face towards the heaven. Surely, We
shall turn you to a Qiblah (prayer direction) that shall please you, so turn your face in the direction of
Al-Masjid-al-Haram (at Makkah). And wheresoever you people are, turn your faces (in prayer) in that
direction. Certainly, the people who were given the Scriptures (i.e. Jews and the Christians) know well
that, that (your turning towards the direction of the Kabah at Makkah in prayers) is the truth from their
Lord. And Allah is not unaware of what they do.
145. And even if you were to bring to the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) all the Ayat
(proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), they would not follow your Qiblah (prayer
direction), nor are you going to follow their Qiblah (prayer direction). And they will not follow each
others Qiblah (prayer direction). Verily, if you follow their desires after that which you have received of
knowledge (from Allah), then indeed you will be one of the Zalimoon (polytheists, wrong-doers, etc.).
146. Those to whom We gave the Scripture (Jews and Christians) recognise him (Muhammad SAW or
the Kabah at Makkah) as they recongise their sons. But verily, a party of them conceal the truth while
they know it - (i.e. the qualities of Muhammad SAW which are written in the Taurat (Torah) and the
147. (This is) the truth from your Lord. So be you not one of those who doubt.
148. For every nation there is a direction to which they face (in their prayers). So hasten towards all that
is good. Wheresoever you may be, Allah will bring you together (on the Day of Resurrection). Truly,
Allah is Able to do all things.
149. And from wheresoever you start forth (for prayers), turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid-al-
Haram (at Makkah), that is indeed the truth from your Lord. And Allah is not unaware of what you do.
150. And from wheresoever you start forth (for prayers), turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid-al-
Haram (at Makkah), and wheresoever you are, turn your faces towards, it (when you pray) so that men
may have no argument against you except those of them that are wrong-doers, so fear them not, but fear
Me! - And so that I may complete My Blessings on you and that you may be guided.
151. Similarly (to complete My Blessings on you) We have sent among you a Messenger (Muhammad
SAW) of your own, reciting to you Our Verses (the Quran) and sanctifying you, and teaching you the
Book (the Quran) and the Hikmah (i.e. Sunnah, Islamic laws and Fiqh -jurisprudence), and teaching
you that which you used not to know.
152. Therefore remember Me (by praying, glorifying, etc.). I will remember you, and be grateful to Me
(for My countless Favours on you) and never be ungrateful to Me.
153. O you who believe! Seek help in patience and As-Salat (the prayer). Truly! Allah is with As-
Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.).
154. And say not of those who are killed in the Way of Allah, "They are dead." Nay, they are living, but
you perceive (it) not.
155. And certainly, We shall test you with something of fear, hunger, loss of wealth, lives and fruits, but
give glad tidings to As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.).
156. Who, when afflicted with calamity, say: "Truly! To Allah we belong and truly, to Him we shall
157. They are those on whom are the Salawat (i.e. blessings, etc.) (i.e. who are blessed and will be
forgiven) from their Lord, and (they are those who) receive His Mercy, and it is they who are the
158. Verily! As-Safa and Al-Marwah (two mountains in Makkah) are of the Symbols of Allah. So it is
not a sin on him who perform Hajj or Umrah (pilgrimage) of the House (the Kabah at Makkah) to
perform the going (Tawaf) between them (As-Safa and Al-Marwah). And whoever does good
voluntarily, then verily, Allah is All-Recogniser, All-Knower.
159. Verily, those who conceal the clear proofs, evidences and the guidance, which We have sent down,
after We have made it clear for the people in the Book, they are the ones cursed by Allah and cursed by
160. Except those who repent and do righteous deeds, and openly declare (the truth which they
concealed). These, I will accept their repentance. And I am the One Who accepts repentance, the Most
161. Verily, those who disbelieve, and die while they are disbelievers, it is they on whom is the Curse of
Allah and of the angels and of mankind, combined.
162. They will abide therein (under the curse in Hell), their punishment will neither be lightened, nor
will they be reprieved.
163. And your Ilah (God) is One Ilah (God -Allah), La ilaha illa Huwa (there is none who has the right
to be worshipped but He), the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.
164. Verily! In the creation of the heavens and the earth, and in the alternation of night and day, and the
ships which sail through the sea with that which is of use to mankind, and the water (rain) which Allah
sends down from the sky and makes the earth alive therewith after its death, and the moving (living)
creatures of all kinds that He has scattered therein, and in the veering of winds and clouds which are
held between the sky and the earth, are indeed Ayat (proofs, evidences, signs, etc.) for people of
165. And of mankind are some who take (for worship) others besides Allah as rivals (to Allah). They
love them as they love Allah. But those who believe, love Allah more (than anything else). If only, those
who do wrong could see, when they will see the torment, that all power belongs to Allah and that Allah
is Severe in punishment.
166. When those who were followed, disown (declare themselves innocent of) those who followed
(them), and they see the torment, then all their relations will be cut off from them.
167. And those who followed will say: "If only we had one more chance to return (to the worldly life),
we would disown (declare ourselves as innocent from) them as they have disowned (declared
themselves as innocent from) us." Thus Allah will show them their deeds as regrets for them. And they
will never get out of the Fire .
168. O mankind! Eat of that which is lawful and good on the earth, and follow not the footsteps of
Shaitan (Satan). Verily, he is to you an open enemy.
169. (Shaitan (Satan)) commands you only what is evil and Fahsha (sinful), and that you should say
against Allah what you know not.
170. When it is said to them: "Follow what Allah has sent down." They say: "Nay! We shall follow what
we found our fathers following." (Would they do that!) Even though their fathers did not understand
anything nor were they guided?
171. And the example of those who disbelieve, is as that of him who shouts to the (flock of sheep) that
hears nothing but calls and cries. (They are) deaf, dumb and blind. So they do not understand.
172. O you who believe (in the Oneness of Allah -Islamic Monotheism)! Eat of the lawful things that
We have provided you with, and be grateful to Allah, if it is indeed He Whom you worship.
173. He has forbidden you only the Maytatah (dead animals), and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that
which is slaughtered as a scrifice for others than Allah (or has been slaughtered for idols, etc., on which
Allahs Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering). But if one is forced by necessity without
wilful disobedience nor transgressing due limits, then there is no sin on him. Truly, Allah is Oft-
Forgiving, Most Merciful.
174. Verily, those who conceal what Allah has sent down of the Book, and purchase a small gain
therewith (of worldly things), they eat into their bellies nothing but fire. Allah will not speak to them on
the Day of Resurrection, nor purify them, and theirs will be a painful torment.
175. Those are they who have purchased error at the price of Guidance, and torment at the price of
Forgiveness. So how bold they are (for evil deeds which will push them) to the Fire.
176. That is because Allah has sent down the Book (the Quran) in truth. And verily, those who disputed
as regards the Book are far away in opposition.
177. It is not Al-Birr (piety, righteousness, and each and every act of obedience to Allah, etc.) that you
turn your faces towards east and (or) west (in prayers); but Al-Birr is (the quality of) the one who
believes in Allah, the Last Day, the Angels, the Book, the Prophets and gives his wealth, in spite of love
for it, to the kinsfolk, to the orphans, and to Al-Masakin (the poor), and to the wayfarer, and to those
who ask, and to set slaves free, performs As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), and gives the Zakat, and who fulfill
their covenant when they make it, and who are As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.) in extreme poverty and
ailment (disease) and at the time of fighting (during the battles). Such are the people of the truth and
they are AlMuttaqoon (pious - see V.2:2).
178. O you who believe! Al-Qisas (the Law of Equality in punishment) is prescribed for you in case of
murder: the free for the free, the slave for the slave, and the female for the female. But if the killer is
forgiven by the brother (or the relatives, etc.) of the killed against blood money, then adhering to it with
fairness and payment of the blood money, to the heir should be made in fairness. This is an alleviation
and a mercy from your Lord. So after this whoever transgresses the limits (i.e. kills the killer after taking
the blood money), he shall have a painful torment.
179. And there is (a saving of) life for you in Al-Qisas (the Law of Equality in punishment), O men of
understanding, that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious - see V.2:2).
180. It is prescribed for you, when death approaches any of you, if he leaves wealth, that he make a
bequest to parents and next of kin, according to reasonable manners. (This is) a duty upon Al-Muttaqoon
(the pious - see V.2:2).
181. Then whoever changes the bequest after hearing it, the sin shall be on those who make the change.
Truly, Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.
182. But he who fears from a testator some unjust act or wrong-doing, and thereupon he makes peace
between the parties concerned, there shall be no sin on him. Certainly, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most
183. O you who believe! Observing As-Saum (the fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for
those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious - see V.2:2).
184. (Observing Saum (fasts)) for a fixed number of days, but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the
same number (should be made up) from other days. And as for those who can fast with difficulty, (e.g.
an old man, etc.), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a Miskeen (poor person) (for every day).
But whoever does good of his own accord, it is better for him. And that you fast, it is better for you if
only you know.
185. The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Quran, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs
for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on
the first night of) the month (of Ramadan i.e. is present at his home), he must observe Saum (fasts) that
month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number (of days which one did not observe Saum
(fasts) must be made up) from other days. Allah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make
things difficult for you. (He wants that you) must complete the same number (of days), and that you
must magnify Allah (i.e. to say Takbeer (Allahu-Akbar; Allah is the Most Great) on seeing the crescent
of the months of Ramadan and Shawwal) for having guided you so that you may be grateful to Him.
186. And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am
indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on
Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be
187. It is made lawful for you to have sexual relations with your wives on the night of As-Saum (the
fasts). They are Leebas (i.e. body cover, or screen, or Sakan, (i.e. you enjoy the pleasure of living with
her -as in Verse 7:189) Tafsir At-Tabaree), for you and you are the same for them. Allah knows that
you used to deceive yourselves, so He turned to you (accepted your repentance) and forgave you. So
now have sexual relations with them and seek that which Allah has ordained for you (offspring), and eat
and drink until the white thread (light) of dawn appears to you distinct from the black thread (darkness
of night), then complete your Saum (fast) till the nightfall. And do not have sexual relations with them
(your wives) while you are in Itikaf (i.e. confining oneself in a mosque for prayers and invocations
leaving the worldly activities) in the mosques. These are the limits (set) by Allah, so approach them not.
Thus does Allah make clear His Ayat (proofs, evidences, lessons, signs, revelations, verses, laws, legal
and illegal things, Allahs set limits, orders, etc.) to mankind that they may become Al-Muttaqoon (the
pious - see V.2:2).
188. And eat up not one anothers property unjustly (in any illegal way e.g. stealing, robbing, deceiving,
etc.), nor give bribery to the rulers (judges before presenting your cases) that you may knowingly eat up
a part of the property of others sinfully.
189. They ask you (O Muhammad SAW) about the new moons. Say: These are signs to mark fixed
periods of time for mankind and for the pilgrimage. It is not Al-Birr (piety, righteousness, etc.) that you
enter the houses from the back but Al-Birr (is the quality of the one) who fears Allah. So enter houses
through their proper doors, and fear Allah that you may be successful.
190. And fight in the Way of Allah those who fight you, but transgress not the limits. Truly, Allah likes
not the transgressors. (This Verse is the first one that was revealed in connection with Jihad, but it was
supplemented by another (V.9:36)).
191. And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out.
And Al-Fitnah is worse than killing. And fight not with them at Al-Masjid-al-Haram (the sanctuary at
Makkah), unless they (first) fight you there. But if they attack you, then kill them. Such is the
recompense of the disbelievers.
192. But if they cease, then Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
193. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah)
and (all and every kind of) worship is for Allah (Alone). But if they cease, let there be no transgression
except against Az-Zalimoon (the polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.)
194. The sacred month is for the sacred month, and for the prohibited things, there is the Law of
Equality (Qisas). Then whoever transgresses the prohibition against you, you transgress likewise against
him. And fear Allah, and know that Allah is with Al-Muttaqoon (the pious - see V.2:2) .
195. And spend in the Cause of Allah (i.e. Jihad of all kinds, etc.) and do not throw yourselves into
destruction (by not spending your wealth in the Cause of Allah), and do good. Truly, Allah loves Al-
Muhsinoon (the good-doers).
196. And perform properly (i.e. all the ceremonies according to the ways of Prophet Muhammad SAW),
the Hajj and Umrah (i.e. the pilgrimage to Makkah) for Allah. But if you are prevented (from
completing them), sacrifice a Hady (animal, i.e. a sheep, a cow, or a camel, etc.) such as you can afford,
and do not shave your heads until the Hady reaches the place of sacrifice. And whosoever of you is ill or
has an ailment in his scalp (necessitating shaving), he must pay a Fidyah (ransom) of either observing
Saum (fasts) (three days) or giving Sadaqah (charity -feeding six poor persons) or offering sacrifice
(one sheep). Then if you are in safety and whosoever performs the Umrah in the months of Hajj, before
(performing) the Hajj, (i.e. Hajj-at-Tamattu and Al-Qiran), he must slaughter a Hady such as he can
afford, but if he cannot afford it, he should observe Saum (fasts) three days during the Hajj and seven
days after his return (to his home), making ten days in all. This is for him whose family is not present at
Al-Masjid-al-Haram (i.e. non-resident of Makkah). And fear Allah much and know that Allah is Severe
197. The Hajj (pilgrimage) is (in) the well-known (lunar year) months (i.e. the 10th month, the 11th
month and the first ten days of the 12th month of the Islamic calendar, i.e. two months and ten days). So
whosoever intends to perform Hajj therein by assuming Ihram), then he should not have sexual relations
(with his wife), nor commit sin, nor dispute unjustly during the Hajj. And whatever good you do, (be
sure) Allah knows it. And take a provision (with you) for the journey, but the best provision is At-
Taqwa (piety, righteousness, etc.). So fear Me, O men of understanding!
198. There is no sin on you if you seek the Bounty of your Lord (during pilgrimage by trading, etc.).
Then when you leave Arafat, remember Allah (by glorifying His Praises, i.e. prayers and invocations,
etc.) at the Mashar-il-Haram. And remember Him (by invoking Allah for all good, etc.) as He has
guided you, and verily, you were, before, of those who were astray.
199. Then depart from the place whence all the people depart and ask Allah for His Forgiveness. Truly,
Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most-Merciful.
200. So when you have accomplished your Manasik ((i.e. Ihram, Tawaf of the Kabah and As-Safa and
Al-Marwah), stay at Arafat, Muzdalifah and Mina, Ramy of Jamarat, (stoning of the specified pillars in
Mina) slaughtering of Hady (animal, etc.)). Remember Allah as you remember your forefathers or with a
far more remembrance. But of mankind there are some who say: "Our Lord! Give us (Your Bounties) in
this world!" and for such there will be no portion in the Hereafter.
201. And of them there are some who say: "Our Lord! Give us in this world that which is good and in
the Hereafter that which is good, and save us from the torment of the Fire!"
202. For them there will be alloted a share for what they have earned. And Allah is Swift at reckoning.
203. And remember Allah during the appointed Days. But whosoever hastens to leave in two days, there
is no sin on him and whosoever stays on, there is no sin on him, if his aim is to do good and obey Allah
(fear Him), and know that you will surely be gathered unto Him.
204. And of mankind there is he whose speech may please you (O Muhammad SAW), in this worldly
life, and he calls Allah to witness as to that which is in his heart, yet he is the most quarrelsome of the
205. And when he turns away (from you "O Muhammad SAW "), his effort in the land is to make
mischief therein and to destroy the crops and the cattle, and Allah likes not mischief.
206. And when it is said to him, "Fear Allah", he is led by arrogance to (more) crime. So enough for him
is Hell, and worst indeed is that place to rest!
207. And of mankind is he who would sell himself, seeking the Pleasure of Allah. And Allah is full of
Kindness to (His) slaves.
208. O you who believe! Enter perfectly in Islam (by obeying all the rules and regulations of the Islamic
religion) and follow not the footsteps of Shaitan (Satan). Verily! He is to you a plain enemy.
209. Then if you slide back after the clear signs (Prophet Muhammad SAW and this Quran, and Islam)
have come to you, then know that Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise.
210. Do they then wait for anything other than that Allah should come to them in the shadows of the
clouds and the angels? (Then) the case would be already judged. And to Allah return all matters (for
211. Ask the Children of Israel how many clear Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs,
revelations, etc.) We gave them. And whoever changes Allahs Favour after it had come to him, (e.g.
renounces the Religion of Allah (Islam) and accepts Kufr (disbelief),) then surely, Allah is Severe in
212. Beautified is the life of this world for those who disbelieve, and they mock at those who believe.
But those who obey Allahs Orders and keep away from what He has forbidden, will be above them on
the Day of Resurrection. And Allah gives (of His Bounty, Blessings, Favours, Honours, etc. on the Day
of Resurrection) to whom He wills without limit.
213. Mankind were one community and Allah sent Prophets with glad tidings and warnings, and with
them He sent the Scripture in truth to judge between people in matters wherein they differed. And only
those to whom (the Scripture) was given differed concerning it after clear proofs had come unto them
through hatred, one to another. Then Allah by His Leave guided those who believed to the truth of that
wherein they differed. And Allah guides whom He wills to a Straight Path.
214. Or think you that you will enter Paradise without such (trials) as came to those who passed away
before you? They were afflicted with severe poverty and ailments and were so shaken that even the
Messenger and those who believed along with him said, "When (will come) the Help of Allah?" Yes!
Certainly, the Help of Allah is near!
215. They ask you (O Muhammad SAW) what they should spend. Say: Whatever you spend of good
must be for parents and kindred and orphans and AlMasakin (the poor) and the wayfarers, and whatever
you do of good deeds, truly, Allah knows it well.
216. Jihad (holy fighting in Allahs Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims) though you dislike it, and it
may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you.
Allah knows but you do not know.
217. They ask you concerning fighting in the Sacred Months (i.e. 1st, 7th, 11th and 12th months of the
Islamic calendar). Say, "Fighting therein is a great (transgression) but a greater (transgression) with
Allah is to prevent mankind from following the Way of Allah, to disbelieve in Him, to prevent access to
Al-Masjid-al-Haram (at Makkah), and to drive out its inhabitants, and Al-Fitnah is worse than killing.
And they will never cease fighting you until they turn you back from your religion (Islamic
Monotheism) if they can. And whosoever of you turns back from his religion and dies as a disbeliever,
then his deeds will be lost in this life and in the Hereafter, and they will be the dwellers of the Fire. They
will abide therein forever."
218. Verily, those who have believed, and those who have emigrated (for Allahs Religion) and have
striven hard in the Way of Allah, all these hope for Allahs Mercy. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most-
219. They ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a
great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit." And they ask you
what they ought to spend. Say: "That which is beyond your needs." Thus Allah makes clear to you His
Laws in order that you may give thought."
220. In (to) this worldly life and in the Hereafter. And they ask you concerning orphans. Say: "The best
thing is to work honestly in their property, and if you mix your affairs with theirs, then they are your
brothers. And Allah knows him who means mischief (e.g. to swallow their property) from him who
means good (e.g. to save their property). And if Allah had wished, He could have put you into
difficulties. Truly, Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise."
221. And do not marry Al-Mushrikat (idolatresses, etc.) till they believe (worship Allah Alone). And
indeed a slave woman who believes is better than a (free) Mushrikah (idolatress, etc.), even though she
pleases you. And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al-Mushrikoon till they believe (in Allah
Alone) and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (idolater, etc.), even though he
pleases you. Those (Al-Mushrikoon) invite you to the Fire, but Allah invites (you) to Paradise and
Forgiveness by His Leave, and makes His Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations,
etc.) clear to mankind that they may remember.
222. They ask you concerning menstruation. Say: that is an Adha (a harmful thing for a husband to have
a sexual intercourse with his wife while she is having her menses), therefore keep away from women
during menses and go not unto them till they have purified (from menses and have taken a bath). And
when they have purified themselves, then go in unto them as Allah has ordained for you (go in unto
them in any manner as long as it is in their vagina). Truly, Allah loves those who turn unto Him in
repentance and loves those who purify themselves (by taking a bath and cleaning and washing
thoroughly their private parts, bodies, for their prayers, etc.).
223. Your wives are a tilth for you, so go to your tilth (have sexual relations with your wives in any
manner as long as it is in the vagina and not in the anus), when or how you will, and send (good deeds,
or ask Allah to bestow upon you pious offspring) before you for your ownselves. And fear Allah, and
know that you are to meet Him (in the Hereafter), and give good tidings to the believers (O Muhammad
224. And make not Allahs (Name) an excuse in your oaths against your doing good and acting piously,
and making peace among mankind. And Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower (i.e. do not swear much and if
you have sworn against doing something good then give an expiation for the oath and do good).
225. Allah will not call you to account for that which is unintentional in your oaths, but He will call you
to account for that which your hearts have earned. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most-Forbearing.
226. Those who take an oath not to have sexual relation with their wives must wait four months, then if
they return (change their idea in this period), verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
227. And if they decide upon divorce, then Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.
228. And divorced women shall wait (as regards their marriage) for three menstrual periods, and it is not
lawful for them to conceal what Allah has created in their wombs, if they believe in Allah and the Last
Day. And their husbands have the better right to take them back in that period, if they wish for
reconciliation. And they (women) have rights (over their husbands as regards living expenses, etc.)
similar (to those of their husbands) over them (as regards obedience and respect, etc.) to what is
reasonable, but men have a degree (of responsibility) over them. And Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise.
229. The divorce is twice, after that, either you retain her on reasonable terms or release her with
kindness. And it is not lawful for you (men) to take back (from your wives) any of your Mahr (bridal
money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage) which you have given them, except
when both parties fear that they would be unable to keep the limits ordained by Allah (e.g. to deal with
each other on a fair basis). Then if you fear that they would not be able to keep the limits ordained by
Allah, then there is no sin on either of them if she gives back (the Mahr or a part of it) for her Al-Khul
(divorce). These are the limits ordained by Allah, so do not transgress them. And whoever transgresses
the limits ordained by Allah, then such are the Zalimoon (wrong-doers, etc.).
230. And if he has divorced her (the third time), then she is not lawful unto him thereafter until she has
married another husband. Then, if the other husband divorces her, it is no sin on both of them that they
reunite, provided they feel that they can keep the limits ordained by Allah. These are the limits of Allah,
which He makes plain for the people who have knowledge.
231. And when you have divorced women and they have fulfilled the term of their prescribed period,
either take them back on reasonable basis or set them free on reasonable basis. But do not take them
back to hurt them, and whoever does that, then he has wronged himself. And treat not the Verses (Laws)
of Allah as a jest, but remember Allahs Favours on you (i.e. Islam), and that which He has sent down to
you of the Book (i.e. the Quran) and Al-Hikmah (the Prophets Sunnah - legal ways - Islamic
jurisprudence, etc.) whereby He instructs you. And fear Allah, and know that Allah is All-Aware of
232. And when you have divorced women and they have fulfilled the term of their prescribed period, do
not prevent them from marrying their (former) husbands, if they mutually agree on reasonable basis.
This (instruction) is an admonition for him among you who believes in Allah and the Last Day. That is
more virtuous and purer for you. Allah knows and you know not.
233. The mothers shall give suck to their children for two whole years, (that is) for those (parents) who
desire to complete the term of suckling, but the father of the child shall bear the cost of the mothers food
and clothing on a reasonable basis. No person shall have a burden laid on him greater than he can bear.
No mother shall be treated unfairly on account of her child, nor father on account of his child. And on
the (fathers) heir is incumbent the like of that (which was incumbent on the father). If they both decide
on weaning, by mutual consent, and after due consultation, there is no sin on them. And if you decide on
a foster suckling-mother for your children, there is no sin on you, provided you pay (the mother) what
you agreed (to give her) on reasonable basis. And fear Allah and know that Allah is All-Seer of what
234. And those of you who die and leave wives behind them, they (the wives) shall wait (as regards their
marriage) for four months and ten days, then when they have fulfilled their term, there is no sin on you if
they (the wives) dispose of themselves in a just and honourable manner (i.e. they can marry). And Allah
is Well-Acquainted with what you do.
235. And there is no sin on you if you make a hint of betrothal or conceal it in yourself, Allah knows
that you will remember them, but do not make a promise of contract with them in secret except that you
speak an honourable saying according to the Islamic law (e.g. you can say to her, "If one finds a wife
like you, he will be happy"). And do not consummate the marriage until the term prescribed is fulfilled.
And know that Allah knows what is in your minds, so fear Him. And know that Allah is Oft-Forgiving,
236. There is no sin on you, if you divorce women while yet you have not touched (had sexual relation
with) them, nor appointed unto them their Mahr (bridal money given by the husband to his wife at the
time of marriage). But bestow on them ( a suitable gift), the rich according to his means, and the poor
according to his means, a gift of reasonable amount is a duty on the doers of good.
237. And if you divorce them before you have touched (had a sexual relation with) them, and you have
appointed unto them the Mahr (bridal money given by the husbands to his wife at the time of marriage),
then pay half of that (Mahr), unless they (the women) agree to forego it, or he (the husband), in whose
hands is the marriage tie, agrees to forego and give her full appointed Mahr. And to forego and give (her
the full Mahr) is nearer to At-Taqwa (piety, right-eousness, etc.). And do not forget liberality between
yourselves. Truly, Allah is All-Seer of what you do.
238. Guard strictly (five obligatory) AsSalawat (the prayers) especially the middle Salat (i.e. the best
prayer Asr). And stand before Allah with obedience (and do not speak to others during the Salat
239. And if you fear (an enemy), perfrom Salat (pray) on foot or riding. And when you are in safety,
offer the Salat (prayer) in the manner He has taught you, which you knew not (before).
240. And those of you who die and leave behind wives should bequeath for their wives a years
maintenance and residence without turning them out, but if they (wives) leave, there is no sin on you for
that which they do of themselves, provided it is honourable (e.g. lawful marriage). And Allah is All-
Mighty, All-Wise. (The order of this Verse has been cancelled (abrogated) by Verse 4:12).
241. And for divorced women, maintenance (should be provided) on reasonable (scale). This is a duty
on Al-Muttaqoon (the pious - see V.2:2).
242. Thus Allah makes clear His Ayat (Laws) to you, in order that you may understand.
243. Did you (O Muhammad SAW) not think of those who went forth from their homes in thousands,
fearing death? Allah said to them, "Die". And then He restored them to life. Truly, Allah is full of
Bounty to mankind, but most men thank not.
244. And fight in the Way of Allah and know that Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.
245. Who is he that will lend to Allah a goodly loan so that He may multiply it to him many times? And
it is Allah that decreases or increases (your provisions), and unto Him you shall return.
246. Have you not thought about the group of the Children of Israel after (the time of) Musa (Moses)?
When they said to a Prophet of theirs, "Appoint for us a king and we will fight in Allahs Way." He said,
"Would you then refrain from fighting, if fighting was prescribed for you?" They said, "Why should we
not fight in Allahs Way while we have been driven out of our homes and our children (families have
been taken as captives)?" But when fighting was ordered for them, they turned away, all except a few of
them. And Allah is All-Aware of the Zalimoon (polytheists and wrong-doers).
247. And their Prophet (Samuel ) said to them, "Indeed Allah has appointed Taloot (Saul) as a king over
you." They said, "How can he be a king over us when we are better fitted than him for the kingdom, and
he has not been given enough wealth." He said: "Verily, Allah has chosen him above you and has
increased him abundantly in knowledge and stature. And Allah grants His Kingdom to whom He wills.
And Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures needs, All-Knower."
248. And their Prophet (Samuel ) said to them: Verily! The sign of His Kingdom is that there shall come
to you At-Taboot (a wooden box), wherein is Sakinah (peace and reassurance) from your Lord and a
remnant of that which Musa (Moses) and Haroon (Aaron) left behind, carried by the angels. Verily, in
this is a sign for you if you are indeed believers.
249. Then when Taloot (Saul) set out with the army, he said: "Verily! Allah will try you by a river. So
whoever drinks thereof, he is not of me, and whoever tastes it not, he is of me, except him who takes
(thereof) in the hollow of his hand." Yet, they drank thereof, all, except a few of them. So when he had
crossed it (the river), he and those who believed with him, they said: "We have no power this day
against Jaloot (Goliath) and his hosts." But those who knew with certainty that they were to meet their
Lord, said: "How often a small group overcame a mighty host by Allahs Leave?" And Allah is with As-
Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.).
250. And when they advanced to meet Jaloot (Goliath) and his forces, they invoked: "Our Lord! Pour
forth on us patience and make us victorious over the disbelieving people."
251. So they routed them by Allahs Leave and Dawood (David) killed Jaloot (Goliath), and Allah gave
him (Dawood (David)) the kingdom (after the death of Taloot (Saul) and Samuel) and AlHikmah
(Prophethood), and taught him of that which He willed. And if Allah did not check one set of people by
means of another, the earth would indeed be full of mischief. But Allah is full of Bounty to the Alameen
(mankind, jinns and all that exists).
252. These are the Verses of Allah, We recite them to you (O Muhammad SAW) in truth, and surely,
you are one of the Messengers (of Allah).
253. Those Messengers! We preferred some to others; to some of them Allah spoke (directly); others He
raised to degrees (of honour); and to Iesa (Jesus), the son of Maryam (Mary), We gave clear proofs and
evidences, and supported him with Rooh-ul-Qudus (Jibrael (Gabriel)). If Allah had willed, succeeding
generations would not have fought against each other, after clear Verses of Allah had come to them, but
they differed - some of them believed and others disbelieved. If Allah had willed, they would not have
fought against one another, but Allah does what He likes.
254. O you who believe! Spend of that with which We have provided for you, before a Day comes when
there will be no bargaining, nor friendship, nor intercession. And it is the disbelievers who are the
Zalimoon (wrong-doers, etc.).
255. Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Ever Living, the One
Who sustains and protects all that exists. Neither slumber, nor sleep overtake Him. To Him belongs
whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with
His Permission? He knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and what will happen to
them in the Hereafter . And they will never compass anything of His Knowledge except that which He
wills. His Kursee extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and
preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great. (This Verse 2:255 is called Ayat-ul-Kursee.)
256. There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the Right Path has become distinct from the wrong path.
Whoever disbelieves in Taghoot and believes in Allah, then he has grasped the most trustworthy
handhold that will never break. And Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.
257. Allah is the Walee (Protector or Guardian) of those who believe. He brings them out from darkness
into light. But as for those who disbelieve, their Auliya (supporters and helpers) are Taghoot (false
deities and false leaders, etc.), they bring them out from light into darkness. Those are the dwellers of
the Fire, and they will abide therein forever.
258. Have you not looked at him who disputed with Ibrahim (Abraham) about his Lord (Allah), because
Allah had given him the kingdom? When Ibrahim (Abraham) said (to him): "My Lord (Allah) is He
Who gives life and causes death." He said, "I give life and cause death." Ibrahim (Abraham) said,
"Verily! Allah causes the sun to rise from the east; then cause it you to rise from the west." So the
disbeliever was utterly defeated. And Allah guides not the people, who are Zalimoon (wrong-doers,
259. Or like the one who passed by a town and it had tumbled over its roofs. He said: "Oh! How will
Allah ever bring it to life after its death?" So Allah caused him to die for a hundred years, then raised
him up (again). He said: "How long did you remain (dead)?" He (the man) said: "(Perhaps) I remained
(dead) a day or part of a day". He said: "Nay, you have remained (dead) for a hundred years, look at
your food and your drink, they show no change; and look at your donkey! And thus We have made of
you a sign for the people. Look at the bones, how We bring them together and clothe them with flesh".
When this was clearly shown to him, he said, "I know (now) that Allah is Able to do all things."
260. And (remember) when Ibrahim (Abraham) said, "My Lord! Show me how You give life to the
dead." He (Allah) said: "Do you not believe?" He (Ibrahim (Abraham)) said: "Yes (I believe), but to be
stronger in Faith." He said: "Take four birds, then cause them to incline towards you (then slaughter
them, cut them into pieces), and then put a portion of them on every hill, and call them, they will come
to you in haste. And know that Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise."
261. The likeness of those who spend their wealth in the Way of Allah, is as the likeness of a grain (of
corn); it grows seven ears, and each ear has a hundred grains. Allah gives manifold increase to whom He
pleases. And Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures needs, All-Knower.
262. Those who spend their wealth in the Cause of Allah, and do not follow up their gifts with reminders
of their generosity or with injury, their reward is with their Lord. On them shall be no fear, nor shall they
263. Kind words and forgiving of faults are better than Sadaqah (charity) followed by injury. And Allah
is Rich (Free of all wants) and He is Most-Forbearing.
264. O you who believe! Do not render in vain your Sadaqah (charity) by reminders of your generosity
or by injury, like him who spends his wealth to be seen of men, and he does not believe in Allah, nor in
the Last Day. His likeness is the likeness of a smooth rock on which is a little dust; on it falls heavy rain
which leaves it bare. They are not able to do anything with what they have earned. And Allah does not
guide the disbelieving people.
265. And the likeness of those who spend their wealth seeking Allahs Pleasure while they in their
ownselves are sure and certain that Allah will reward them (for their spending in His Cause), is the
likeness of a garden on a height; heavy rain falls on it and it doubles its yield of harvest. And if it does
not receive heavy rain, light rain suffices it. And Allah is All-Seer of (knows well) what you do.
266. Would any of you wish to have a garden with date-palms and vines, with rivers flowing
underneath, and all kinds of fruits for him therein, while he is striken with old age, and his children are
weak (not able to look after themselves), then it is struck with a fiery whirlwind, so that it is burnt? Thus
does Allah make clear His Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses) to you that you may give thought.
267. O you who believe! Spend of the good things which you have (legally) earned, and of that which
We have produced from the earth for you, and do not aim at that which is bad to spend from it, (though)
you would not accept it save if you close your eyes and tolerate therein. And know that Allah is Rich
(Free of all wants), and Worthy of all praise.
268. Shaitan (Satan) threatens you with poverty and orders you to commit Fahsha (evil deeds, illegal
sexual intercourse, sins etc.); whereas Allah promises you Forgiveness from Himself and Bounty, and
Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures needs, All-Knower.
269. He grants Hikmah to whom He pleases, and he, to whom Hikmah is granted, is indeed granted
abundant good. But none remember (will receive admonition) except men of understanding.
270. And whatever you spend for spendings (e.g., in Sadaqah - charity, etc. for Allahs Cause) or
whatever vow you make, be sure Allah knows it all. And for the Zalimoon (wrong-doers, etc.) there are
271. If you disclose your Sadaqat (alms-giving), it is well, but if you conceal it, and give it to the poor,
that is better for you. (Allah) will forgive you some of your sins. And Allah is Well-Acquainted with
what you do.
272. Not upon you (Muhammad SAW) is their guidance, but Allah guides whom He wills. And
whatever you spend in good, it is for yourselves, when you spend not except seeking Allahs
Countenance. And whatever you spend in good, it will be repaid to you in full, and you shall not be
273. (Charity is) for Fuqara (the poor), who in Allahs Cause are restricted (from travel), and cannot
move about in the land (for trade or work). The one who knows them not, thinks that they are rich
because of their modesty. You may know them by their mark, they do not beg of people at all. And
whatever you spend in good, surely Allah knows it well.
274. Those who spend their wealth (in Allahs Cause) by night and day, in secret and in public, they shall
have their reward with their Lord. On them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
275. Those who eat Riba (usury) will not stand (on the Day of Resurrection) except like the standing of
a person beaten by Shaitan (Satan) leading him to insanity. That is because they say: "Trading is only
like Riba (usury)," whereas Allah has permitted trading and forbidden Riba (usury). So whosoever
receives an admonition from his Lord and stops eating Riba (usury) shall not be punished for the past;
his case is for Allah (to judge); but whoever returns (to Riba (usury)), such are the dwellers of the Fire -
they will abide therein.
276. Allah will destroy Riba (usury) and will give increase for Sadaqat (deeds of charity, alms, etc.) And
Allah likes not the disbelievers, sinners.
277. Truly those who believe, and do deeds of righteousness, and perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat),
and give Zakat, they will have their reward with their Lord. On them shall be no fear, nor shall they
278. O you who believe! Be afraid of Allah and give up what remains (due to you) from Riba (usury)
(from now onward), if you are (really) believers.
279. And if you do not do it, then take a notice of war from Allah and His Messenger but if you repent,
you shall have your capital sums. Deal not unjustly (by asking more than your capital sums), and you
shall not be dealt with unjustly (by receiving less than your capital sums).
280. And if the debtor is in a hard time (has no money), then grant him time till it is easy for him to
repay, but if you remit it by way of charity, that is better for you if you did but know.
281. And be afraid of the Day when you shall be brought back to Allah. Then every person shall be paid
what he earned, and they shall not be dealt with unjustly.
282. O you who believe! When you contract a debt for a fixed period, write it down. Let a scribe write it
down in justice between you. Let not the scribe refuse to write as Allah has taught him, so let him write.
Let him (the debtor) who incurs the liability dictate, and he must fear Allah, his Lord, and diminish not
anything of what he owes. But if the debtor is of poor understanding, or weak, or is unable himself to
dictate, then let his guardian dictate in justice. And get two witnesses out of your own men. And if there
are not two men (available), then a man and two women, such as you agree for witnesses, so that if one
of them (two women) errs, the other can remind her. And the witnesses should not refuse when they are
called on (for evidence). You should not become weary to write it (your contract), whether it be small or
big, for its fixed term, that is more just with Allah; more solid as evidence, and more convenient to
prevent doubts among yourselves, save when it is a present trade which you carry out on the spot among
yourselves, then there is no sin on you if you do not write it down. But take witnesses whenever you
make a commercial contract. Let neither scribe nor witness suffer any harm, but if you do (such harm), it
would be wickedness in you. So be afraid of Allah; and Allah teaches you. And Allah is the All-Knower
of each and everything.
283. And if you are on a journey and cannot find a scribe, then let there be a pledge taken (mortgaging);
then if one of you entrust the other, let the one who is entrusted discharge his trust (faithfully), and let
him be afraid of Allah, his Lord. And conceal not the evidence for he, who hides it, surely his heart is
sinful. And Allah is All-Knower of what you do.
284. To Allah belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is on the earth, and whether you disclose
what is in your ownselves or conceal it, Allah will call you to account for it. Then He forgives whom He
wills and punishes whom He wills. And Allah is Able to do all things.
285. . The Messenger (Muhammad SAW) believes in what has been sent down to him from his Lord,
and (so do) the believers. Each one believes in Allah, His Angels, His Books, and His Messengers. They
say, "We make no distinction between one another of His Messengers" -and they say, "We hear, and we
obey. (We seek) Your Forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the return (of all)."
286. Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope. He gets reward for that (good) which he has earned,
and he is punished for that (evil) which he has earned. "Our Lord! Punish us not if we forget or fall into
error, our Lord! Lay not on us a burden like that which You did lay on those before us (Jews and
Christians); our Lord! Put not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Pardon us and grant
us Forgiveness. Have mercy on us. You are our Maula (Patron, Suppor-ter and Protector, etc.) and give
us victory over the disbelieving people."